Isle of Sheppey

The island of Sheppey derived from "sheep island"  was in the past quite important with the Navel Dockyard that opened in the 1660's, building over 30 ships including HMS Gannet which is now moored in Chatham Historic Dockyard and in it's later years refitting and repairing navy ships.  After the dockyard closed down in 1960 the island suffered a decline with mass unemployment although many workers did transfer to Chatham dockyard. A steelworks operated for many years opening in 1971, which did offer some employment for local people but that went into administration finally in 2012 after an initial closure in 2002.  The steelworks has now been demolished to make room to park the imported cars which appears to be primary use of the dockyard, now run by Peel Ports.  Sheerness Dockyard Church which was partly destroyed by fire is hopefully going to be rebuilt with the help of a Lottery Grant, this is outside of the dockyard walls.  There are many historic buildings within the dockyard that should have public access, Peel Ports have a Master Plan where they have said they will open up a historic quarter that will enable the public to see these relics, but who know if and when this will happen.


The lifting bridge was our only way on and off the Island prior to the new high level bridge being opened in 2006.  The lifting bridge also carries the local rail line to Sittingbourne.

This is the new bridge that was opened, the bridge walk was a charity event prior to the official opening.

Sun sets

We get some excellent sunsets on the island, in fact it seems to have a micro climate and is generally different to the mainland.



We have a rail service on the island that comes over the lifting bridge serving Queenborough and Sheerness stations, it is primarily used as a branch line to Sittingbourne, however we are linked to the mainline and several trains every day serve London directly.  We used to have a light railway linking Queenborough and Leysdown and stations in between but due to lack of use it was closed down in the 1950's.